1 of 3
Do you support colleagues to enhance their wellbeing? Are you looking for a simple, accessible physical activity to promote?
This GM Daily Mile Toolkit has everything you need to launch a Daily Mile campaign in the workplace and to encourage staff to take up a Daily Mile if working from home. The step-by-step guide, top tips and the downloadable marketing and promotional resources in the toolkit will help you to achieve your goal.
The toolkit is divided into 6 sections;
Ways to encourage staff to develop the GM Daily Mile habit;
• Set up a regular staff led workplace GM Daily Mile opportunity
• Launch a workplace GM Daily Mile group walk, self-managed by the participants
• Promote the benefits of walking to encourage the workforce to walk as & when they want
The GM Walking 7 Steps to Success Guide will help you to achieve your vision. It includes further information, tips and useful links on the following 7 steps;
Check out free Apps and Websites to help you to Work Out a Mile and can help you to Plan a Walking Route if you need some support or inspiration. The Go Jauntly app has some walks specific to Greater Manchester- check it out here.
Working out how far a mile is or how far you have walked isn’t always easy. Why not try these ideas to help you;
• At a steady pace a mile is about 20 minutes walking. Time yourself walking
• You can use free technology on your phone to help count your steps. A mile is about 2,000 steps.
• Decide how long you want to walk for, set a timer on your phone for half that time. When the alarm rings, turn around and walk back to the start.
• Build up to walking 10 minutes there and 10 minutes back. This will be roughly a mile.
One way to encourage walking is to share the positive outcomes of walking a GM Daily Mile. Remember it only takes about 20 minutes to walk a mile or is about 2000 steps, walking supports physical, emotional & mental wellbeing too.
Walking supports each of the Five Ways to Wellbeing, developed by the New Economics Foundation (2008) and used by many local, regional and national community & health organisations across the UK.
The five evidenced-based actions designed to improve personal wellbeing are;
Let’s see how walking can can support each of these.
How a GM Daily Mile supports The Five Ways to Wellbeing
Download this as a poster
Using a combination of marketing methods will increase your reach, especially where staff work in different roles, across different departments, at various times of the day/night and those working from home.
Getting the messaging right
Raise awareness of your GM Daily Mile campaign in places where colleagues are most likely see them. For example;
• Customise the poster and flyer templates and display around the workplace such as on notice boards, in toilets, reception, kitchen, cafeteria areas and at the water cooler-using a variety of places will increase your reach. There is space for your logo to be added.
Choosing the sweet spots to market to your colleagues.
Download and print headers
Spending time with others is known to boost your health & wellbeing. The workplace can provide a great range of opportunities for colleagues to connect through a GM Daily Mile. These may include;
The following ideas and tools are designed to help motivate your colleagues to participate in a GM Daily Mile and develop new habits of regular walking.
Download the Tracker
Download the Step Tracker
Download the Diary
Remember to celebrate progress. Celebrating winners of challenges can be great but also consider celebrating progress too, such as consistency of walkers, new walkers or those who recruit new walkers. But only if they want the recognition!
Be proud, celebrate and continue your good work.
Download the Certificate